China has announced sanctions against 28 members of the Trump administration, including former U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and former chief strategist Steve Bannon.

They, along with any companies and institutions associated with them, are “restricted from doing business with China,” and their immediately family members will be prohibited from entering China’s mainland, Hong Kong and Macau, the Chinese government said in a release.

Read more:
China’s policies on Uighurs, ethnic minorities amount to ‘genocide,’ Pompeo says

China’s foreign ministry said these officials, dubbed “anti-China politicians,” were sanctioned due to their “selfish political interests and prejudice and hatred against China and showing no regard for the interests of the Chinese and American people.”

They claimed those sanctioned “have planned, promoted and executed a series of crazy moves which have gravely interfered in China’s internal affairs, undermined China’s interests, offended the Chinese people, and seriously disrupted China-U.S. relations.”

Story continues below advertisement

The announcement was made moments after Joe Biden was sworn in as president of the United States. The move to sanction Pompeo also comes one day after the former secretary of state offered a harsh rebuke of China’s maltreatment of its Muslim Uighurs and other ethnic minorities.

Pompeo said the Chinese government’s policies on Muslims and ethnic minorities in China’s western Xinjiang region constituted as “crimes against humanity,” going so far as to call it “genocide,” in an online statement posted Tuesday.

“I believe this genocide is ongoing, and that we are witnessing the systematic attempt to destroy Uyghurs by the Chinese party-state,” the statement read.

— More to come.




© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.




Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *